Did you know that your mind could only hold one thought at a time? This is why I feel gratitude is a great act of self care because it helps shift your mindset and energy. I am a believer of “energy flows where the mind goes”- this goes with how the mind can only hold one thought at a time. While you are focusing on gratitude of the experiences you are going through, you are shifting your bodies energy and mindset. I can have a whole other blog about energy, but for now lets get back to practicing gratitude. It has been shown to improve physical health, mental health and enhance self esteem and resilience.
Have you ever practiced gratitude when feeling blah or like life is not fair? It’s hard right?
The past few days have been very challenging, I was in a funk. I felt blah, I had a lot of things going on at once, and most of all I felt disappointment and frustration. It was not an easy task to get out of this mindset. I tried to use all my self care tools that I had in my tool box: journaling, meditating, reiki, essential oils, running, yoga but none of those really shifted this blah feeling. Then I realized I needed to let myself feel it, instead of burying it- I cried, I vented, I let it out in order to let it go.
It was very challenging to feel grateful when I felt disappointment and frustration but I recited what I was grateful for anyway and focused my energy on these thoughts. I began to list the things I am grateful for from the small things to the larger. After doing this I felt a little better. Have you ever heard the saying “fake it til you make it?” So I continued, I recited what I was grateful for in my thoughts, on paper, out loud multiple times a day while using my young living essential oils and taking deep breathes -all of this was a form of self care. I tried being gentle with myself and allowing myself to feel these hard emotions without judgement. Practicing self care and mindfulness is like a muscle, it takes practice and consistency.
Here are 5 simple ways you can add gratitude to your self care routine:
- Start and end your day with gratitude. This can be out loud, in your mind or written form. Find a time that works for you and/ or incorporate it into something you already do. You could even do this while you are brushing your teeth. If this doesn’t work try to think of 3 things you are grateful for- you could use a post it note somewhere easily visible as a reminder. You could also use a gratitude rock as a visible reminder to practice gratitude if you do not want to use a post it note. I also find it therapeutic to hold the rock and roll it around in my hand while thinking of what I am grateful for.
- Have a gratitude journal/ jar or box. This will get you in the routine of practicing gratitude daily. Some prompts could be what did I do for myself today? What made me happy? or What am I grateful for experiencing? Notice something new that you are grateful for or try to list different things.
- Write a note of gratitude to someone. This could be as simple as a thank you for supporting me and helping me with my paper or as long as you like with details about all the reasons you are grateful for this person and how they impact your life or the lives of others.
- Gratitude reflection during a walk this can be anywhere from 2-5 minute walk to any longer length you feel fit. You can use this walk to disconnect from technology in order to be present in this moment. Take in how it feels to walk and observe all the sights, sounds and smells use all of your senses. While walking you can begin to think about and reflect on what you a grateful for. If you’d like some prompts you can start with what you are grateful for in the immediate environment of your walk, then move to individuals you are grateful for, finally moving inward to thoughts of what you are grateful for about yourself.
- Gratitude meditation is a visualization meditation of all you are grateful for. Find a comfortable seated position to start, and draw your attention to your breathing and then take in some deep breathes with your eyes closed. You do not need to clear your mind, you just want to focus your mind. If your mind wanders acknowledge that and bring it back to what you are feeling grateful for. During this meditation you can show gratitude to things like your health, ability to breathe, legs and feet for walking and movement, sense of touch and feeling, vision for seeing, etc. You can also show gratitude for people, animals, and things in your life. When meditating and focusing on the gratitude of each, be sure to pause to really focus on it before moving on to the next.
Right now as I reflect I am Feeling so blessed! Thank you @dragonflyandspruce and @myjoannamalone for today’s opportunity to learn more about Savvy Minerals by Young Living’s new mineral make up line! So many benefits to moving towards preventative care and removing yucky chemicals from my life style. I am loving this journey I am on with you all towards health, wellness and abundance. 😍❤ I feel so overwhelmed with gratitude to call this work! To love what I do and be able to intertwine what I am learning in order to help myself, my family and friends and to just help people. There is so much synchronicity going on between grad school, aba work and the oily work I am doing.
Digging a little deeper…
The past couple of weeks I have been going through roller coasters of emotions. Even though I KNOW I am on the right path and doing the right things I have been feeling so overwhelmed and at times paralyzed with my anxiety and depression. Between juggling grad school, working my ABA job and working as an entrepreneur with Young Living/ blogging/ and the realm of holistic healing it has been A LOT. The past few days I have been connecting with some special and important people in my life and it has been so healing! During these times of stress I make sure to up my selfcare and taking time to learn about Young Living mineral make up, get my make up done and connect with these ladies has been a form of self care (education so I can remove unhealthy chemicals from my lifestyle) even though it’s “work”. Though it’s hard I know it’s worth it. I love my support system and the folks in my life.
YES! Series 3: Spirit! If you haven’t already read Easy Steps to Spring Clean Your Spiritual Self and Environment Series 1: Home please click here & for Series 2: Body please click here.
- See a professional Holistic Practitioner, an Energy Healer, a Reiki Master, get a massage, go to Acupuncturist, a Nutritionist or a Therapist. This not only helps to identify any areas in your life that you may need to focus on to clear out anything but is a great act of self-care. When you take care of your mind, body and spirit, you are able to function at your highest potential. If you need any suggestions on where to find any of the professionals listed above, I know a lot of great ones, so feel free to contact us for a referral.
- Do a release ceremony. A Release Ceremony is where you have identified what you want to change in your life and you have acknowledged you want to let go of what no longer serves you. There are a few ways to do a Release Ceremony. One way is to journal about what you want to let go of and release it by burning it. Another way is to pray or meditate and Give thanks for any lessons or growth that has been experienced. A Release Ceremony is tailored to a personal preference and there is no wrong way to do one as long as the intention is there to Release.
- Treat yourself. Allow yourself to do something nice for yourself. Take time to read a book you’ve been wanting to start. Take an epsom salt bath with Young Living Essential Oil blend Stress Away. Light candles and meditate on what you are grateful for. This is your moment to enjoy, relax and let go.
- Build yourself an altar. An altar allows you to have a space to do rituals, pray or meditate. Find items that are sacred to you and that make you feel good. This altar is all yours and needs to hold personal meaning to you.
- Music and Sounds. Music has the ability to change the mood of the environment almost instantly. Uplifting music emits a higher frequency which attracts positive people, experiences and stimulates the environment to foster a harmonious vibe. Also, wind chimes are very good to have in and around your home. The windchimes help to break up any stagnate energy.
Hello Beautiful People! I’m so happy to be here with Rhona sharing tips, techniques and tools to Spring Cleaning your environment and most importantly, yourself!
But first, a little about me.
I am 100% a Southern California girl. I take advantage of the sunshine we have here and I’m outside in nature most days. I love learning and I’m always up for learning anything new. I really enjoy teaching people how to develop themselves spiritually, professionally and personally. I have had a passion for seeing people have healthy and harmonious relationships since I was very young. I can remember helping my friends resolve their conflicts and then one by one, my peers would come to me to seek guidance and resolutions to their conflicts.
I have done tons of research on what techniques are most effective in helping to foster healthy relationships. This will be an ongoing research for me as I have seen no 2 relationships are the same. My goal is to make our world a little more healthier, peaceful and happier because I have felt the suffering and struggles of others. I’ve felt other people’s pain so crystal clear as if it were my own, it triggered me to be the person I am today. I do believe one person has the potential to change the whole world. Just like one domino falling and triggering a chain reaction or one drop in the ocean can ripple out causing a shift in the entire ocean. I still have so much hope for our world and I just know that one person can spark something and change the whole world for the better.
I look forward to helping as many people as I can and hopefully I will get to meet you. If I only help one person, then I hope I have helped to spark that person to ripple out what we need in our world most and that is a fierce and compassionate love for all people. You can contact me at www.essentialslifeliving.com and I’d love to connect with you. Hope you have a blessed day filled with lots of people, places and experiences that make you smile.